This version of chicken parmesan is healthier than most as it is baked not fried and served on a bed of spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I made it a few weeks ago and it was really quite easy to make. Plus both hubby and I gobbled it right up so it was tasty too.
Baked Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash
– 1 spaghetti squash
– 1 C shredded mozzarella
– 2 C marinara sauce
– 4 Chicken breasts
– fresh basil (about 1/4 Cup)
– 1/3 C bread crumbs
– 1/3 C panko
– 1/3 C parm (2oz) shredded
– 2 t Italian seasoning (or 1 t dried basil & 1 t dried oregano)
– 1/2 t salt
– 1/8 t pepper
– 1 egg
– 1/4 C water
– Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and rub with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side up on a baking tray and bake at 350F for 40 minutes then turn over and bake for another 20 minutes. The squash is fully cooked when it’s tender when you stick a fork in it (like a potato 😉 ).
– For the chicken mix the coating ingredients together in one bowl and wisk the egg wash ingredients together in another bowl.
– Take each chicken breast and coat first in egg wash then in the coating. Make sure to really press the coating onto the chicken. Then place the chicken on a baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
– While chicken is cooking chop basil. An easy way to chip basil is to stack all of the leafs then roll them all up tight and slice. You get nice long ribbons like this.
– Once chicken is cooked remove from oven and spoon about 3 tablespoons of marinara on the top of each piece of chicken then sprinkle 1/4 cup of mozzarella on top. Then sprinkle top with basil. Return chicken to oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
– Heat the remaining marinara sauce to use on the squash.
– Once the squash is cooked give it about 5 minutes to cool then use a fork to scrape the strands loose. Season to taste with a little more salt and pepper and mix in 2 table spoons of the basil.
– To plate put the squash on plate first then top with marinara then a chicken breast.
Thanks and until next time, enjoy your adventures!