Hi food friends!
Sorry, it’s been a few weeks since my last post. I’ve just been enjoying our beautiful spring and keeping myself busy. In the next few weeks I should have some good posts for you with some of the things I’ve been getting up to. But today I am happy to bring you a new pasta recipe! You might be thinking ‘but Kyra its spring what’s with the heavy pasta dish?’ Well have no fear this pasta is loaded with veggies to help keep it light and healthy! So much so my husband commented on how much “stuff” was in it. Haha, silly guy.
So this recipe has vodka in it (if you couldn’t guess from the title) now the alcohol does cook off so it is safe for the kids but if you would prefer a non-alcoholic version you can substitute chicken or beef stock (or veggie if your vegetarian). And feel free to experiment with what veggies you like in this dish. I’ve done it without the yellow squash; with mushrooms; with green peppers instead of red; with 2 zucchini. The choice is yours, have fun with it.
Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce
– 1 box whole wheat penne (about 500g dry)
– 1 package Italian sausage (about 500g) (for vegitarian you could use a big can of chickpeas instead and add it when you add all the veggies)
– 1 onion
– 1 large clove of garlic
– 1 zucchini
– 1 yellow long neck squash (looks like a zucchini, or just 2 zucchini)
– 1 red pepper
– 1 can (28oz) whole plum tomatoes
– 1 cup vodka (or stock)
– 1 cup heavy cream (at least 10%, I use whipping cream
– salt and pepper to taste
– Get a large pan on medium heat and add about a teaspoon of oil. Take your sausage and cut the casing open then put it in the pan and break them up with a spoon so it’s in small chunks.
– While your meat starts to brown dice your onion then add to the pan. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
– Meanehile chop up your other veggies into about 1 inch cubes. Then add to your sautéed onion and now browned sausage. Crush the garlic and add to the pan.
– Add the vodka to the meat and veggie mixture and simmer for about 5 minutes to cook out the alcohol.
– Push the meat and veggies to one side of the pan and pour the can of tomatoes on the other side. Then using a potato masher mash up the tomatoes. (If there’s not enough room in your pan for this you can do it in another pan then pour them in, make sure it’s got higher sides cause the tomatoes will squirt juices out of them. Alternately you could use a can of diced tomatoes instead but I prefer the taste of the whole plums).
– Allow the sauce to simmer while you cook your pasta. You want to leave the pasta quite firm as you will be finishing the cooking in the sauce. I like to take one and bite it and still see the line of white in the middle. If your using whole wheat penne boil for about 7 minutes.
– While the pasta cooks add the cream to your sauce and stir to incorporate.
– When the pasta is done combine it with the sauce and stir till it’s all coated nicely then allow it to simmer for about 5 minuets stirring frequently until the pasta is cooked through.
Thanks and until next time, enjoy your adventures!